This weekend, millions of football fans will be cheering on either the Eagles or the Patriots in Superbowl LII. Superbowl Sunday is one of the days throughout the year that people look forward to because it usually means they get to attend a Superbowl party. As much fun as Superbowl Sunday is, it is important to keep in mind that drinking too much alcohol is not worth getting pulled over on your way home for driving while intoxicated. The penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol are very serious, especially for those that already have a DUI offense on their record.
In New Jersey, the penalties for a first offense DWI are as follows:
- License suspension for 90 days
- 12 hours of participation at the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center
- A surcharge of $1000 each year for three consecutive years
- Other fees and fines
- Potential for the installation of an ignition interlock device
In Delaware, the penalties for a first offense DUI are as follows:
- Between 12 and 24 months of drivers license suspension
- Fines between $500 and $1500
- Imprisonment for up to 6 months
In Pennsylvania, the penalties for a first offense DUI are as follows:
- Up to 6 months of probation
- A fine of $300
- Participation in the alcohol highway safety school
- Possible mandatory substance abuse treatment
Enjoy Superbowl Sunday and be safe!
The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced attorneys throughout the states of New Jersey and Delaware. Please contact the office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered regarding your specific case.