If you have recently been injured in an accident that was not your fault, there is a very good chance you are now seeking financial compensation to help you get back on your feet again. However, you will first have to schedule an initial consultation with an attorney so he or she can begin fighting for your rights. Though this is often a nervewracking process for many, it does not have to be if you are prepared. Here are some of the questions you may have about your first meeting with a personal injury attorney:
What paperwork should I bring to my initial consultation with an attorney?
Your initial consultation is where your attorney will asses whether you have a valid personal injury lawsuit on your hands, so it is crucial you provide your attorney with all the information he or she needs to effectively establish and present your case. Some of the most important evidence and documentation you can provide your attorney with on your initial consultation can include:
- Any witness statements corroborating your claim, as well as their contact information so your lawyer can reach out to them and ask certain key questions
- Any damages incurred as a result of the accident, including medical bills, the cost of in-home care, lost future wages from being unable to return from work, and more
- Photographs of the accident’s aftermath, or the safety hazard that caused the accident
- Medical documents regarding the origin and extent of your injuries, as well as doctor’s notes detailing how your medical condition affects your daily life
- Any recorded communications with the negligent party or their insurance company
- Police reports filed depicting the accident and how it happened
- Your insurance information
What additional information does my attorney need to know to file a lawsuit?
Though of course, all of the above information is a great start, your attorney will ask you various questions to learn even more about your case so he can establish a well-rounded picture of your case as a whole. For example, your attorney may ask you if you have ever gotten in an accident before, where you are currently employed, whether you have already submitted a statement to your insurance company, or the opposing party’s insurance company, and any other question your attorney determines is necessary for maximizing your chances of winning your claim.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced defense attorneys throughout the state of New Jersey. We understand the severity and immediacy of all personal injury claims and additional legal matters, and we provide each of our clients with compassionate and aggressive legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered regarding your legal case.