Many of us worry about driving in the snow, however, we generally don’t think we will be involved in an accident, which is why we set out to work or otherwise anyway. Unfortunately, snow and ice accidents are not uncommon, which is why you should read on to learn more about how you can better prepare yourself for the chilly winter months to come. Below you will find a list of the most important driving safety tips:
- Always prepare in advance. This includes packing extra clothes, such as mittens, scarfs, hats, and coats, as well as extra food and bottled water, and any additional useful supplies, such as small shovels, flashlights, and more.
- Always drive slowly: Taking it slow is the most important thing you can do. Go under the speed limit, allow plenty of time to brake, keep sufficient distance back from all other motorists, and do not go out in the snow without sufficiently treaded tires or snow tires.
- Ensure you have at least a half a tank of gas at all times. If you ever get stuck in the snow, the last thing you will want is for your car to die.
- When driving up snowy hills, keep in mind that momentum is key. Build up a little speed as you approach the hill. If you do not, you may get stuck or even slide back down.
- If idling, ensure your exhaust pipe is cleared of ice or any other debris. If you don’t CO2 may leak into your car, which is toxic and potentially deadly.
There are few things more nervewracking than driving in snowy or icy conditions, which is why taking it slow and obeying the rules and regulations of the road are paramount to your safety. However, despite taking all of the aforementioned advice, accidents may still happen. If you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you should reach out to one of our experienced New Jersey personal injury attorneys. Ensure you do so quickly, as there is a statute of limitations in place that allows you two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against another party. If you wait any longer than two years, you will generally be denied your right to compensation.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced defense attorneys throughout the state of New Jersey. We understand the severity and immediacy of all personal injury claims and additional legal matters, and we provide each of our clients with compassionate and aggressive legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered regarding your legal case.